At H.G.P.S we offer our pupils a maths curriculum that goes beyond the national curriculum statements and reflects the needs of the school community.
Maths Curriculum Intent
At HGPS we ensure that the aims of the national curriculum for mathematics (set out below) are fundamental drivers for HGPS Maths Curriculum. The national curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including the varied and regular practice of increasingly complex problems over time.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, understanding relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
However, at HGPS we create year on year, a more tailored, personalised maths curriculum that goes beyond the national curriculum statements and again reflects the needs of the school community.
Mastery of Maths
We have high expectations of all our pupils and our personalised maths curriculum strongly reflects our understanding of mastery. At HGPS, achieving mastery means:
- believe all children can achieve;
- development of deep mathematical understanding;
- development of factual/procedural and conceptual fluency;
- Longer time of key topics, to provide time to deepen and embed understanding.
HGPS Maths Policy is on our main Policies Page
HGPS Calculation Policy is on our main Policies Page